Significance of Dovetail Joints in Quality Woodwork for Kitchen Drawers and CabinetsApril 26, 2018
When you know how to spot the signs of fine workmanship, it is easy to distinguish durable woodwork in kitchen drawers and cabinet from the cheap knockoffs. One major sign is that of dovetail joints. You will have an easy time detecting these as they are in the corners of the drawers. This style of joint has long been known for its longevity and strength. We discuss the significance of these joints in a bit more detail in the following facts.
Definition of a Dovetail Joint
A dovetail joint is also known as a swallowtail joint in Europe. This type of joint is commonly used in joinery ranging from furniture to cabinetry. It involves connecting two sections of wood through the use of interlocking pieces that fit similar to those in a jigsaw puzzle, and they resemble the shape of a dove’s tail. Joints of this style have a long, proven record for being the most reliable and strongest joining method in comparison to other methods. Also, they date back to at least, ancient Egypt and have been used with regularity since that time.
Expert joiners understand that there are different types of dovetail joints and how to select the right one for their purpose. Refer to the list below to learn the following styles of these joints:
- Secret mitred dovetail
- Sliding dovetail
- Half-blind dovetail
- Through dovetail
- Secret double-lapped dovetail
- Full dovetail
Dovetail Joints Provide a Strong Seam
Drawers and cabinets that include dovetail joints contain extremely strong and secure seams. As a result, they stand up to daily use without separating. Often, these elements do not require an upgrade during a renovation, thanks to these joints. If you discover that your drawers are nailed and/or glued in the corners instead of some type of dovetail joint, you might consider replacing them with ones that are better built.
Dovetail Joints Can Play a Role in Cabinet Refurbishing
When a construction company stands behind its work, it will require that any drawers that do not contain dovetail joints to be replaced with ones that do during a kitchen renovation. Only through taking this action, will they then issue you a guarantee of all of their services. You may resist the additional expense of this, but you should not since your results will last longer.
For further information about the significance of dovetail joints in quality woodwork for kitchen drawers and cabinets, consult with Elyse Cabinets. We deliver quality results with our skillful cabinetry services for your kitchen, bathroom, family room, alfresco area, laundry and other areas of your house.
For more information:
5 Egan Road, Dandenong VICTORIA 3175
Tel: (03) 9793 7717 Fax: (03) 9793 8118
Mobile: 0414 354 561
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- FAQs about MDF E-Zero Boards: What You Need To Know
- Benefits of Having Customised Garage Storage Cabinets
- Basic Guide When Customising Bathroom Vanity Cabinets
- Costly Mistakes to Avoid When Doing a Kitchen Renovation
- The Popularity of Neutral Colours in Kitchen Cabinets
- New Trends in Cabinet Finishes that You Can Choose From
- Significance of Dovetail Joints in Quality Woodwork for Kitchen Drawers and Cabinets
- Customised Cabinets for Your Home in Melbourne: Stunning Cabinets That Give the Best Vibe
- Rustic Bathroom Renovation Style Ideas for Those with Unique Classic Taste
- Drawer Systems for Kitchen Cabinets: What's New in 2018?
- Unique and Exciting Design Idea Suggestions for Your Alfresco Area
- Why Should Cabinet Makers Care About Using Eco-Friendly Materials?
- Bathroom Design Trends to Watch Out for in Year 2018
- Kitchen Design Trends To Watch Out for in Year 2018
- Kitchen Theme Colours that Best Match Dark Cabinets
- Mix Old and New Kitchen Cabinets in Style
- View all article…
- What Makes E-Zero Particle Board Materials Environmentally Friendly?
- Create the Best Kitchen Ambiance with a New Kitchen Design
- View all articles…
- Classic, Contemporary or Rustic Style Kitchen: What Are Their Differences?
- Modernise Your Living Room Space with Elegantly Designed Wall Units
- View all articles…