Classic, Contemporary or Rustic Style Kitchen: What Are Their Differences?
Just like furniture or clothing, kitchens come in a variety of styles. The most common and popular are classic, Contemporary or Rustic Style Kitchen. All three have their differences. But when it comes to decorating, it is a whole lot easier to make designing choices if you are familiar with your basic style.
Classic or traditional style kitchens are mostly reminiscent of 18th and 19th century. With designing, lighting is functional not artsy and accessories are distinct not haphazard. Flooring includes solid wood and patterns. Countertops are neutral in color typically with a conservative stone backlash. And with trim; this style features columns, flutes and coffered ceilings.
When it comes to cabinetry, this style generally uses cherry wood or an informal farmhouse grace with painted white cabinets. Additions include farm sinks, wooden countertops and hand scraped wood flooring. In today’s standards, this style is like a cultured country look.
A contemporary kitchen is inclined to be more modern and symmetrical. Today’s modern look is orderly and uncluttered. Features include horizontal lines and a minimalistic style without molding or other enhancements. For the most part, materials are man-made as opposed a more natural look like glass, chrome, stainless steel, laminate and concrete.
This style is reminiscent of the 1940’s to present day, with European designs particularly from Scandinavia, Italy and Germany. Frameless cabinets and countertops are curved and made of white or bold colored laminate, stainless steel and finely grained woods like maple, ash and birch. Door styles include horizontal lift-ups and slabs. For accents, use stainless steel and other metals. Fosted glass inserts are popular.
A rustic kitchen will oftentimes have a provincial flair like the Mountain West, Old World France or Adirondack. This architectural style employs log framing and other natural elements. Ceiling beans and wood paneling are common. Most choices are bold and natural such as warm cabinetry with strong grains like alder, hickory or knotty pine. Colors and hues include warm rich earth tones like greens, reds and yellows. To enhance the look, use wide rail and stiles like Shaker doors.
Pulling it Together
Whether you choose a Contemporary or Rustic Style Kitchen, the variations are endless. Actually, a kitchen can have a combination of styles like contemporary appliances coupled with a rustic look. Even better, newer appliances can have a wooden exterior that blends in with the cabinetry or countertops.
Now the main focus in the kitchen should always be the cabinetry. Once you decide on your own unique style, the rest will easily fall into place. From there, you can add small touches like trim, backlashes, accessories or other special enhancements.
For more information:
5 Egan Road, Dandenong VICTORIA 3175
Tel: (03) 9793 7717 Fax: (03) 9793 8118
Mobile: 0414 354 561
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- What Makes E-Zero Particle Board Materials Environmentally Friendly?
- Create the Best Kitchen Ambiance with a New Kitchen Design
- View all articles…
- Classic, Contemporary or Rustic Style Kitchen: What Are Their Differences?
- Modernise Your Living Room Space with Elegantly Designed Wall Units
- Benefits of Custom Cabinetry for Home Appliances
- Best Qualities of a Superior Cabinet Maker
- Best Ideas for Small Kitchen Renovation
- Experience Alfresco Living at Your Own Home
- Benefits of Laundry Room Cabinets
- Important Questions to Ask the Experts before a Bathroom Renovation
- The Dos and Don'ts of Kitchen Renovation
- Simple Kitchen Pantry and Cabinet Ideas from Elyse Cabinets
- Transform Your Home's Overall Look with Customised Cabinets from Elyse Cabinets
- Choosing Between the Contemporary Versus the Traditional Bathroom Design
- Trade Secrets of a Successful Alfresco Design for Your Home
- The Essential Benefits of Using Eco-Friendly Materials in Furniture
- Wall Units by Elyse Cabinets to Maximize Your Living Room Space
- Give your Home a Modern Look with Stylish Cabinets from Elyse Cabinets
- Importance of Functional Kitchen Cabinets
- Benefits of having high quality customised cabinets?
- Bathroom Vanity Storage Upgrades
- Eco-Friendly cabinets for your home by Elyse Cabinet Makers
- Kitchen Renovation Checklist
- How to get your cabinets custom made and still save a fortune
- Considering adding or upgrading a Barbeque? Think Alfresco!
- How to use your bathroom vanity as a centrepiece